Jeff Patek Memorial Scholarship
The Walworth County Deputy Sheriffs Association developed an annual scholarship in memory of Jeff Patek, who passed away on June 23, 2016 after a strong and courageous fight against cancer. Jeff graduated from Big Foot High School in 1985 and graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Platteville in 1989. Jeff began his law enforcement career with the Town of Delavan Police Department where he worked until 1994, when he became employed by the Walworth County Sheriffs Office. Jeff served the Walworth County Sheriffs Office for 23 years and was a Sergeant assigned to the Walworth County Drug Enforcement Unit and Commander of the SWAT team.
The Jeff Patek Memorial Scholarship is established to offer financial assistance to individuals interested in pursuing a career in Law Enforcement. The number of the scholarships available is based on the size of the fund, with no fewer than one scholarship available each scholarship year. The number of scholarships awarded is determined by the number of qualified applicants.
The Walworth County Deputy Sheriffs Association has had a long history of serving the citizens of Walworth County. The Association has always enjoyed the support of the citizens, who have made the scholarship program possible. Through this award program, we hope that we can help develop future leaders in our county. By our joint efforts, we can continue to make Walworth County the best place to live and raise our families.
- Be pursuing a course of study in a Law Enforcement Career at an accredited two (2) year or four ( 4) year college or university
- Be a High School Senior, who is a Walworth County resident
- Have no negative law enforcement contacts (minor traffic violations excluded). Background Investigations will be conducted
- Enclose three (3) letters of recommendation from three (3) separate sources, which may include teachers, clergy, civic organization, employer, or law enforcement
- Submit High School Transcripts, along with the completed and signed application
The recipient(s) of the scholarship will be selected on a competitive basis by the Jeff Patek Memorial Scholarship Committee. The recipient(s) will be awarded the Scholarship in the amount payable to an accredited college or university for tuition only for the spring semester. To receive the Scholarship the recipient(s) must show the following:
- The recipient is in good academic standing with the accredited college or university
- The recipient must show proof that they are enrolled in the spring semester
Scholarship applications must be postmarked no later than April 16th and mailed to:
Walworth County Deputy Sheriff's Association
Attn: Jeff Patek Memorial Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 171
Elkhorn, Wisconsin 53121